Saturday, January 12, 2008

Stockpile Girl

Today was errand day for me. We were out of milk, fruit and veggies, and household items. Literally, the boys had the last of the milk and fruit this morning for breakfast. In my mind I really should have gone to the grocery store friday but I procrastinated. I knew I had a buffer day of today. Yes...I have buffer days. I do not like to run out of things. Any things........food, household items, clean clothes, etc. If I run out of things I feel like I am not doing my job properly. I have a warped mind......did I ever tell you. I stockpile things. If the family opens up a bottle of shampoo I make a mental note to replace said item quickly. Even if said item will not be needed for another month or so........a replacement needs to be under the counter....waiting.I have gotten much better at my stockpiling(lack of money plays a huge role). Now, I am okay with just one said item under the counter and not two or three. As for food.....especially perishable items.......I carefully watch and plan when I can/need to go grocery shopping. I am okay with using up the last of the milk but by goodness new milk will be in the fridge by next meal time.
If not......did I really take good care of my family? This is my job folks....not to run out of things. I am warped .......I know. So tell me.....do you stockpile? Do you have buffer days when you know clothes should be cleaned but have a few more days of white socks to tide everyone over. Buffer days!!! Or are you carefree and frivolous.

4 comments:

Scarlett said...

I like to stockpile, but I'm not very good at it. LOL! We run out of stuff regularly, and then I will make an emergency run to the store, do an emergency load of laundry, etc. My buffer is having my kids drink juice or water until I can get to the store to get more milk. I know... bad mommy!!!

Holly said...

We run out of stuff all the time. Most things don't get replaced until the next trip to the store. We hardly ever do emergency runs. It took me a while to not feel guilty if the kids missed having milk at one or two meals.

Heather said...

I stock-pile too, but usually just one is in "stock". Having grown up in a house where my mom bought ANYTHING that was on sale, whether it was needed or not, I have learned to appreciate things in moderation. So, my mom might have 12 containers of shampoo and STILL might buy more the next time they are on sale, I (like you) will write it on the list when we open the last container. Thankfully my hubby is even catching on to this concept of the list. I keep good track of things that I (or Tyler) use, but darn it, I might not notice if he is running low on cheetos. The list darn it, it's not hard. He's getting it. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks, lol!

Kandee said...

I have a weird notion to only keep one extra of any item in the house and won't buy more until that one is in use. I've had to do this mainly for space reasons...but I have a clutter issue too...I don't like clutter and stockpiling is clutter...I come from a long line of stockpilers, so that may be what drives me to be different.