Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Guilt

I am a guilt person. I think it will always follow me. I can try to shake it but it always reemerges. I am a guilt person! No matter what other people say to me to make me feel better.......I have guilt. Guilt that I am not a good enough mother, I am a useless wife, I complain too much, I ignore my kids and let them drown in a tub....whatever. GUILT!!!!! Why am I made this way? Is this God's crazy sense of humor. Let's drive Jennifer crazy and make her ALWAYS fell GUILT. She can try to work out this issue but it snaps back like a good fitting bra. It will always bite her in the rear when least expected. Guilt!! Any ideas people?

6 comments:

Melodie said...

Take some happy pills. It works (mostly) for me.

Karlise said...

WTH brought this on?? What are you feeling guilty about?

Anonymous said...

OMG... This is the funniest post you have ever written. I feel guilty all the time too. Goes with the teritory. And also because I was raised catholic, and let me tell ya, those catholics really know how to lay on the guilt! :)

Melodie said...

I have tons of Catholic guilt! I think if I were to change religions (which I looked into before finding the perfect Catholic church for me) I would even feel guilty about that.

Anonymous said...

I'm like this, too. If someone mopey is in my presence, I just totally assume it's all my fault that they can't get their head out of the sand. What's up with that?!?!

Anyway, it's really not cool for us to do this. What's helped me a lot the past couple of years is memorizing Philippians 4:8, the one that tells you want to think about: whatever is true, just, pure, lovely, honest, of good report, virtuous, praise-worthy things.

If we're thinking negatively, we're just not doing what that verse says.

I'm saying this as someone who still struggles with it, though, but it really has improved as I've chosen to change my thoughts -- remember, we can only have one thought at a time!

(oh, funny about the raised Catholic bit. I was raised a missionary kid; I can totally understand the laying on of the guilt! lol)

Scarlett said...

I ALWAYS feel guilt in some way or another. I'm neglecting my house, husband, kids, and the 10 million other things on my list "to do" at any given time during the day. I hate it.